Thursday, May 28, 2009

Out of Africa

It has been a long time since I have written. The reason is that everyday seems the same. But on Monday we like to think we had a day off...you know Memorial Day. They of course don't celebrate that here but we wanted to do something different. So, we met Matt at the Java House (Kenya's Panera), and got some lunch for the girls that he was going to take to the school. They buy a lunch and usually once a week and go and have a special time with the kids at school. Bridget was in bed sick. Afterward we decided to take in a movie. On Mondays they have a special where you can get a hot dog, coke, and popcorn for the price of the theatre ticket. We had time to kill so we decided to have a nice lunch at a Japanese Restaurant. The restaurant and theatre were in this unbelieveably beautiful mall. It had around 5 floors, escalators and all the modern stores. We really felt like we were "out" of Afric because everthing was so modern, spotless, and expensive. Because we were in such a spotless place I splurged by ordering sushi. It just seem proper to go with something brave. When we were finished we had enough time to take in coffee house which was in the mall also. It was so American and I had the best cafe con leche since I left USA.We were all ready to leave when the waitress brought us a beautiful chocolate mousse cake with lots of whipped creme. I said, "we did not order this."She said "I know. This is on the house. We just wanted you to sample it for us." So, we gladly complied...THEN we finally went up to the movie where after Japanese salad, soup, sushi, choc mousse cake, and coffee, we went merrily into the counter to get our FREE popcorn and coke. Matt thought we would notlike the Kenyan hot dogs so he took a candy bar instead. Into the theatre for a most exciting movie and for two hours I forgot we were in Kenya. It was a great way to celebrate our holiday here.
Soon, in less than a week we will truly be going Out of Africa. We have enjoyed our time here so much. I think we were made for the challenges we have here. They are like a tug of war between my early upbringing and the present age. Here my upbringing serves me so well, you know making homemade bread because I just can't eat the bread here, making everything from scratch, trying to find an appropriate food to replace what they don't have here, cutting the chickens up because a whole chicken is what you get at the butcher, racing the mutatu's for the road, and when you are home relaxing from a well earned day. But soon we will be back to a much faster pace of life where my days melt into each other and we once again enter Into High Point Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment